Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

To Grime or to Slime?

Does being sick make you better at dirtying up a model? Today I put that theory to the test.

When I was picturing the gunk coming from the rivets and bolts, I wanted the Kraken to look like it had just crawled out of a sewer. When I think of sewers, I picture a lot of green stuff you're afraid to touch.


My head wasn't very clear when I finished, so I decided I'd come back to it later (hopefully with fresh eyes) and reevaluate. After an unexpected power nap, I returned and realized that there was just too much green going on. Fortunately I was prepared for that problem.

Last night I sprayed some of the Kraken's armor color on a piece of cardboard and ran different wash combinations over it. One that I was really liking was green with one or two layers of sepia over it. To mute the bright green gunk fighting for attention with the bright green necrotite glow, I decided to try one layer of sepia and see where it got me.




So far I'm happy, but when I wake up tomorrow I'll probably do another one just to give it a more natural look.

You may also notice that the undercarriage doesn't look like a shiny new nickle. I brewed up a custom was for this job, and I'm really happy with how dingy it turned the metal. I'll go back at it with some highlights, but it's so exciting to see this big boy starting to wind down to the final details.

So is being sick and painting gunk a good combination? The current opinion is "ehhhhh."

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment