Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Monday, January 14, 2013

That Randy Newman Song About Friendship


This isn't related to gaming, nor is it necessarily aimed at geeks. But I found a new take on an old movie, and I wanted to share it with you guys.


As of this writing, a re-imagining of Toy Story was released two days ago and has already received over 2 million views (and only 600 dislikes). From beginning to end, it's completely faithful, shot by shot, to the original movie. The human dialogue is spoken by actors, but the toy dialogue, and most of the sounds, are done using the original movie's audio.

I'll caution you now - it's incredibly cheesy. Don't expect greatness going in to it. It uses stop motion only when necessary, but otherwise the strings and wires are quite visible. The human dialogue will make you roll your eyes at least once; but hey, it's always been about the toys! Personally, I found it charming, and my kids sat through the majority of it along with me.

If you were around in the 90s, you owe it to yourself to take a trip down memory lane. And if you stick it out to the end, there's a nice bit of semi-scripted banter from the creators as they sing during the credits.



How much do you think it cost to get all those toys in such good condition? We tried getting some Buzz and Jessie toys for the kids on Christmas, and a Jessie doll that was smaller and made of plastic (rather than stuffing) was going to be like $40!

Now if you're old like me, you probably still remember seeing Toy Story when it was released. It's such a great series, and I still find myself smiling along with my kids when we watch the first two movies. Not the third one though, because apparently that teddy bear is too mean to the toys.

Like most people, I remember seeing it on Thanksgiving Day with my mom and sister. At 10 years old, my mind was blown by the commercials. As I sat in the front-middle of the packed theater, I still remember some guy behind me saying that the movie took 4 years to make. Four years! I knew then that I was in for something special. And after such a stellar creation, it's no wonder Pixar has released some of the greatest computer-animated movies to date.

I really hope you all watch the movie, even if you just put it on in the background of whatever you're doing. Sure it's over an hour long, but it's just too fun to miss.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment