Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Monday, November 18, 2013

(Sort of) Rest Time Reviews - Project Zomboid



Sometimes a game has such a rock-solid premise that you really want to see it succeed. However, many of us have a game (or several games) that simply tripped at the finish line and will forever be a "game that could have been." Today I found a game in development that I'd love to see avoid that fate.

Project Zomboid is another zombie game in an age where even die hard zombie fans don't know the name of every single one. It has been an eternity since we've had a true zombie game. State of Decay came close, but eternal bugs and a fairly bland middle game led to some disappointment. So what makes Project Zomboid a game worth watching?

PZ is a purely open-ended game of survival. You're dropped in to the middle of a zombie apocalypse with the goal of surviving. That means scrounging for supplies, crafting items, fortifying your position, watching for a variety of conditions that affect your character, and basically doing everyone you'd expect to do as the sole survivor in an area infested with the undead. There's also an appreciation for realism, not just with food and supplies but also only allowing you to only see zombies in front of you. Let's talk about everything I love after playing the game.

So far, not a lot. I've spent some time in an early beta demo, and I love everything about the game except the game. I don't mind the cheap graphics even though I know I couldn't look at 90s-style graphics for more than an hour without taking a break for a few days. The controls are a bit wonky, but they work when you get used to them. The lack of in-game help (like showing an E when I'm able to interact with a door I can't see) is irritating, but the manual gives you most info you'd need.

What bothers me about the game are the decisions that have been made. I don't care much about my home, and I only search for supplies to fortify it because I can. Completely outrunning zombies is impossible because they don't seem to be on any sort of leash, any you do outrun are replaced by new zombies you encounter during your escape, and drawing their attention is inevitable with the crappy stealth mechanics. Stand and fight you say? Sure, good luck hitting a single zombie 5-10 times with a hammer or pen (I'd really prefer a sword) while more crowd in around you.

There are about 10 zombies running behind me, but I can't see them unless I turn around. Creepy!


But really, all of this would be forgiven if the game was interesting. The developer's blog said they fixed a framerate issue, but the entire game feels like it takes place underwater. Everything moves slow, responses to my button presses are noticeably delayed, and all of this taking place in a world full of locked doors and windows that can't be based open (despite the game saying they can) basically leaves me digging through trash cans and hoping I find a building to poke around in. The world feels empty, despite having streets crawling with zombies. Basically I felt like I was playing a fun game whose fun switch had been turned to the "off" position.

Now I realize this is practically an alpha version of the game, and the graphics make it apparent that this isn't meant to be a blockbuster game. I acknowledge that it's unfair of me to pass judgment on the beta version of a game. So with all the sub par games out there, why am I picking on Project Zomboid?

Because everything up to the end of the game manual had me excited. Typically I pass on games that look like this, but something about this spoke to me and I knew they had a potential winner on their hands. I could forgo a more closeup view (first person or over-the-shoulder third-person), graphics, and even a bit of variety if it meant capturing the feeling of being in a zombie apocalypse, even if for only a few hours. Instead I'm prohibited from looting buildings because everything is locked even though I had a zombie walk through a nearby door that was locked after I killed him. Basically I got to run around a bland environment, feel 0 thrill as I killed zombies, and basically wasted an hour of my day waiting for the game to live up to its potential.

The demo is free on Steam if you guys want to check it out. I'm really torn between trying to help the developer tune up the game so I can enjoy it on release and just throwing up my hands in exasperation because it's another "game that could have been." Some of my complaints can be easily addressed, while others would take a huge overhaul of the game. If anyone can find a gem in this game, I would love to hear about it, but right now it seems like another dull game in a horde of dull games.


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month I'm giving away everything you need to play the Warmachine scenarios!

No comments:

Post a Comment