Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Better with Friends


I was really excited to play CoD Ghosts. I hadn't played CoD since Black Ops II bored me to tears and made me sell it back in March. I know CoD catches flak for repetition, but what drew me away was a mixture of boring map design, low-power weapons, and all the annoying custom emblems. But that seems to be typical Treyarch fare, so I was excited to pick up another Infinity Ward version and reignite my love of the series.

Ghosts would be amazing, but the maps have so many long lines of sight that it heavily rewards camping and punishes moving around the map trying to engage people. I hate that type of gameplay, and the fact that I can go an entire minute without seeing someone in a twitch shooter is completely unacceptable. In less than a week I was already becoming bored of the game because I had no fun sitting in a building and hoping someone would wander in to my crosshairs, nor did I have fun being the guy that wandered in to someone else's.

I was about to give up on the game and just get Assassin's Creed 4 when my buddy Zach sent me a message asking if I wanted to join him for a game. He and I had never had an opportunity to game together, so I figured I'd give it a shot, especially since I always preferred playing previous versions of CoD with a team who actually tried to win. After a few games, I realized that I didn't totally hate the game!

I had a blast fighting for objectives with a friend and trying to make our team win, rather than just trying to get the most kills possible. Even when we didn't win, it didn't matter as much because I was hanging out with a friend, and winning or losing wasn't the only thing happening. Since we started playing together, I have hardly stepped in to a game on my own the game just isn't that fun otherwise. The maps create a chaotic mess, rather than rewarding players for careful, strategic play. It's very much a "camp or die" situation, and I find it totally awful.

It's also nice to just have someone to play with again. CoD was my primary game for years, and my friends list was full of people to play with. I think the previous version of CoD caused burnout in a lot of people, because when I returned I discovered that everyone was playing different games, or had migrated to PC gaming. Finally having someone to game with makes me even more excited for games like Titanfall and The Division, because I won't have to play a social game with my mic turned off.


See you tomorrow for the giveaway!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month I'm giving away everything you need to play the Warmachine scenarios!

No comments:

Post a Comment