Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hoarluk DoomSanta


The Privateer Press forums are doing a Secret Santa this year, and I decided to jump in on the festivities. A few days ago I got the name of my giftee, as well as a list of models he'd be interested in. He's a Trollblood player, which makes me smile because they have the best sculpts. As I look up pics of his list, my mind exploded with possibilities when I looked at the picture of pDoomshaper.



Allow me to paint you a picture with my word brush.


  • His staff is a rod with thick bands wrapped around it. Picture the lighter wood as red, and the darker brown strip as white. Yes, he'll be rocking a candy cane. I'm not sure about the stone on the end yet.
  • His plaid wrap will be a red sash with HO HO HO or Merry Christmas written in white.
  • The bundle of scrolls on his back will be have epoxy molded around it so that it looks like a giant sack on his back, also painted red, or vice versa. 
  • The scroll on the ground will have NAUGHTY written at the end, with scribbles similar to the studio photo to look like names.
  • I might get brave and try to make an epoxy beard for him, otherwise his stone stubble will be painted white.
  • His armor will be painted red with white trim.
  • I might write DoomSanta on the front of his base.
I like Secret Santa exchanges because you can give something memorable. I know some people will just send the model to the person without even assembling it, but to me that's just breaking even. I don't want to spend money on a model for someone, then receive a plain model from someone else because I may as well skip shipping and buy myself something. 

On my list I said that I wanted to receive a painted model, no matter how bad the paint job may be. Sure it may completely clash with my army, and it may look horrible (or amazing!), and any time I field it I can know that I got it from my Secret Santa. Likewise I want my recipient to put this on the field and always remember where it came from. I'm hoping he doesn't hate it, and I think it will be just crazy enough that he'll have no choice but to laugh and accept it for what it is.

I'll try to do a WIP of the piece, but I'm so horrible at taking a break from working that I won't promise step-by-step photos. I'm really excited about this, and I hope that it turns out in reality as good as it looks in my head!


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month I'm giving away everything you need to play the Warmachine scenarios!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should do some some glowing red paint job on the end of the staff and that could represent Rudolph's red nose? Maybe that's a bad idea. :)

    ReplyDelete