Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Friday, November 8, 2013

New Toys!


It's been a very long day and I'm quite exhausted, so I just have something of an update for you guys. The best part of being a hobbyist is that there are always new tools to play with. In the past 2 days I've finally gotten two tools I've been really wanting.


The first is a portable lightbox, complete with 2 halogen lights that get ridiculously hot when left on for, I don't know, 5 seconds. I've been wanting one of these for awhile, but I've been trying to make do by making my own janky versions that keep getting destroyed. Lately I've just been using a piece of black foam as a backdrop because it doesn't reflect light as bad as paper, but that only really works for brighter pieces.

I took it for a trial run and photographed all my old Circle pieces.


I need some more light and a better knowledge of picture-taking, but I definitely appreciate the benefits of an actual light box. I'm thinking of using an old computer desk and converting it in to an airbrush/photo table. I have a few adjustable desk lamps that I like to use for painting that could double as lights for the sides and top of my lightbox, and if I can figure out a way to make my airbrush booth collapsible I may actually be able to keep a painting area clean!

The second piece in the photo is obviously a straight razor so I can cut people who beat me in Warmachine.

See you tomorrow!



No really, it's a hobby saw used for hacking the limbs off miniatures. There have been a few conversions I've wanted to try that required me to cut off a head or arm, but it's something that just can't be done with a regular Xacto knife if I hope to get a good cut that doesn't mangle the model. I also have 4 Skorne Gladiator Titans I got in a trade, and I've wanted to hack off the arms and head of two of them and turn one in to a Cannoneer and the other in to Tiberion. Rather than having to risk breaking the model to separate joints that seem very happy to stay together, I can now do a bit of lumberjacking and have 2 models I'll use and all I'll need to buy is the Tiberion upgrade kit. I definitely prefer that to the $75 it'd cost me to buy everything brand new!

So that's what's been happening around here lately. Hooray for new toys!


See you tomorrow for real this time!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment