Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mostly Painted, Most of the Time


A few months ago I said I was going to only play painted models. The reasoning was that if I only played painted models. I'd have incentive to get everything painted up. Solid reasoning, and I was pretty sure it was a bulletproof plan.

Unfortunately, life isn't making that work out too well. Between my charity army I'm painting, commission work, and the general duties of being a stay-at-home dad, my personal painting time is becoming more and more precious. As a result, I really don't want to spend a few hours painting up a model only to have it be a stinker on the table and fall in to obscurity with a few other models I can't get to work on the table.

So here's the new, more forgiving goal. I'm letting myself play unpainted models to test them out, and they will get painted if I find them to be worthwhile. I don't have any real criteria for a good performance; I figure if it's something I'll happily field after playing it three times, that's good enough for me! That way I can actually try out things like Tharn Wolf Riders, Boomhowler & Co., or even my small Skorne and Cygnar armies before I risk wasting my painting time on them. This also lets me give myself permission to play the Conquest my wife made me buy, which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to play for several months.

I'm feeling better about this challenge. It will push me less as a painter, but it allows me more freedom as a gamer. I wish I could be "that guy" who only plays painted figures, but... priorities.


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook. I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways! This month's giveaway is for an iOS copy of X-COM Enemy Unknown, so enter here to win!

1 comment:

  1. I applaud this idea! Way to go with making your boundaries realistic. Playing only painted models I think really can crush your desire to play if you know you have 20 hours of painting to do before you can even think about fielding that new unit you just purchased.

    I would even suggest adding a twist to it. Earn your paint award! If you have a unit or solo do something that was pretty awesome in a game they should get moved to the top of the list or at least bumped up in pecking order. :)

    I always jokingly say after a model performed in a great way that they deserve a paint job, but you and I both know that won't happen. lol :)

    ReplyDelete