Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gaming Wives



It's 11:40 and I'm just now blogging. Why you ask? Because I"m currently playing Android: Netrunner with my wife. If you read her hilarious guest post, you'll remember that one of the perks of being married to a gamer is that you have to try all their new games out.

This part of our relationship is actually rather funny. She has 0 interest in a dystopian cyberpunk card game, but she's still cackling madly because she is doing well, despite admitting that she has no idea how. Granted I also don't really know how because this game is so incredibly dense with rules and flavor (flipping cards is called "rezzing," your hand is called your HQ or Grip depending on which side of the table you're on... seriously, it's alot for anyone to muddle through!).

Still, this is one of my favorite things to do at home. We have our share of cooperative boardgames, with games like Pandemic and the Dungeons and Dragons board games being our favorites. We tend to shy away from competitive games because we each excel at different types of games (she can't beat me in card games, I can't beat her in strategy board games for a reason neither of us really understands). But it's good bonding time for us, especially since I bond through shared experiences.

So if you guys want a way to bond with your significant other, bribe them in to playing a fun game with you. They probably won't be interested, but if you make it fun and relaxed it's an excellent way to get them involved in your hobbies, and you may even stumble upon a game or two that you both really enjoy. And trust me, nothing says "I love you" more than cheering for your wife when she kicks your butt in a game you wanted to play!


See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. My GF will be taking to the field with her new Tau army tonight vs. my CSMs in a game of: This is how these work and this is how you win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any geeky board games that I play with my wife but we love playing games together. We usually just play Skip-Bo, Phase 10, Dummy Rummy, or Ticket to Ride Europe. That is usually what we do when friends come over to our house as well. We'll have dinner and then play a card game that is slow paced enough that you can enjoy a conversation while you play it.

    Keep it up, just makes a good marriage better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and My wife started playing backgammon, and we've now moved onto Flux, chrononauts and Hey! that's my fish! due to her love of penguins. I agree, its great to play together.

    ReplyDelete