Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Woohoo! Skull Island Expeditions!

Today's post will be a quicky but a goody.
For those who didn't see the announcement, Privateer Press finally launched their digital library Skull Island Expeditions! I've been looking for some fiction worth putting on my iPad, and I think I've found exactly that.

I'm really excited with the direction they're taking. They have a few continuing stories for Mercenaries (which seems to be the safest compromise for their first releases), as well as a series of novellas that will focus on individual warlocks and warcasters. There are also actual novels releasing in the future, but I like the idea of novellas to satisfy my appetite. For those who will read the book fluff, this is a dream come true!

I know I wanted novels when first starting the game, and PP fleshing out their universe seems to be a another big step in establishing themselves as legitimate competition for gamers' attention. I'm not saying it's been an underdog all these years, but having fiction outside of rulebooks and expansions opens up the door for new gamers to find the hobby, as well as let those who enjoy the universe to become even more invested in the stories.

Well done PP, I'm excited to give you my money for this one!

See you tomorrow (and only 1 day left until the giveaway!)

9 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to giving them a read through. I think GW did a tremendous job of building of their universal story and even though they are hiking prices on their books they continue to release a TON of books that I am sure will sell a bunch of copies. I have read many of GW's book and even the worst ones were enjoyed just because I was able to plug them into the greater universe of 40K as a whole. If PP has good authors and builds its universe well I can see myself enjoying their books just the same. I already enjoy the fluff from the books quite a bit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm excited about. The Iron Kingdoms never felt quite complete because PP only had room to tell broad stories, and then snippets in a model's entry. Now we can read a full-blown story about something that may have only been given a few sentences in a rulebook.

      Delete
  2. I am sure I will not read them all but I intend to read the Cygnar ones especially the upcoming novella about Caine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Devils Pay there is a character named Burns. Ray I didnt know you were a Devil Dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was going to be the big reveal for my 6 month blogging anniversary.

      Delete
  4. So Ray I would like to see you do a blog post or a few on good miniature game alternatives to Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. I got into a discussion with someone yesterday about good Science Fiction alternatives to 40k. We discussed Infinity, Dust Warfare, Dark Age, Malifaux, Heavy Gear, Warpath. I know a lot of 40k players have jumped ship to Warmachine but I really don't consider Warmachine a Sci Fi alternative since it is steam punk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does mean I'll need people to play these alternatives with. Is this how we're tricking the group in to playing Infinity?

      Delete
    2. Good idea Ray. I guess a few of us should pick an Infinity faction and order the very reasonably priced starter box. I am thinking Aleph or Pan Oceania. I could see Josh as Combined Army. :)

      Delete
  5. I have already laid claim to Combined Army, as Chris well know from our discussions.

    ReplyDelete