Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Top 10 - PS3 Exclusives I Want to Play

With my buddy Chris subtly brainwashing me in to buying a PS3, not to mention the fact that there's Microsoft seems dead set on performing seppuku with their next console, I've started thinking about all those times I read through Game Informer and got excited by a game, only to look at the sidebar and realized it's for PS3 only. So here it is, the top 10 PS3 exclusives I want to play once the brainwashing is complete.



10 Resistance (series)
I love alternate history, so Resistance has always seemed like a neat idea. Aliens start taking over Earth in the 40s, and you are part of the resistance. Non-RPG shooters rarely engage me with their story, but Resistance has caught my eye ever since the first one released.

9 Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch
This is one of the few games whose article I've read, despite knowing it was PS3 only. The concept is rather reminiscent of Pokemon, with animal friends you gather along the way to help you do battle. It's a Japanese RPG (JRPG) so I imagine it has a ridiculous amount of grinding. But since anyone who played Pokemon as a kid always wished for a more real-time experience, I think the game could be a good time sink.

8 Tales of Xillia
If you've never played a game in the Tales series, you're either missing out or very fortunate. The games don't vary too much between each one - you have a typical JRPG story, and a lot of running around in the open trying to find an item in between engaging in a very fun combat system. The combat gievs you control over a handful of party members, with you controlling one while the others go on auto pilot. The game's spells are always eye-pleasing, and melee characters have fun abilities as well. But like I said, the games don't vary much and they take a LONG time to get through, and it's hard to justify the time spent running around with no progression.

7 LittleBigPlanet (series)
I have no idea why this game is so appealing. I've watched gameplay videos and it seems lackluster, but the creativity involved in the game makes me want to take it for a spin. I've always enjoyed games that give consieration to physics, and getting to design your own levels with a huge assortment bits and bobs excites me. Of course when I sit down to play it I'm sure to be overwhelmed, but fortunately the game lets you download levels that others have created so you can experience what it's like to play a level that doesn't suck.

6 Heavy Rain
As time goes on I find I have less time for games that waste my time. Mindlessly shooting stuff or spending hours searching for an item was fine back in the day, but more and more I want the time I put in to a game to be worth it. Heavy Rain isn't so much a game as an interactive story about trying to save your son from the infamous Origami Killer. I've purposely tried to avoid reading too much about it, but I know it was wonderfully received and I really want to see what it's all about.

5 The Last of Us
Post-apocalyptic stories make me squeal in excitement. The premise of the game is that a mysterious fungus has destroyed civilization; it's weird, but if it can tell a good story and not make me feel like I'm part of a Shyamalan movie, I'll be happy.

4 Uncharted (series)
It's hard to talk about PS3 without Uncharted coming up. The game seems to be the system's crowning achievement, and I'm more than a bit curious to see what all the fuss is about. Tomb Raider certainly made me better appreciate an adventure game, so I'll definitely be playing Uncharted. I won't lie, from the outside the game doesn't seem to be all that great, but everyone insists it's the game by which all other games are judged, so I will definitely give it a try.

3 Demon's Souls
Hands down my favorite game ever is Dark Souls. The story is cryptic but deep, the combat is amazing, and the challenge is the most frustratingly amazing thing I've ever experienced. Demon's Souls is the original game, and I have to play it. The graphics are pretty crappy, but the gameplay I've watched seems to be every ounce of Dark Souls I've come to love.

2 Infamous (series)
Infamous is the first game that made me genuinely envious of PS3 owners. The story of a guy getting superpowers, and how you choose to use them, seems like an amazing super hero-esque story. The fact that it got a well-received 2nd game makes me even more excited to play it. In any game I play I have a hard time being the bad guy, but I hear that going down the "dark path" isn't filled with cliched villain situations, so maybe I'll finally play a game without wearing a halo the entire time.

1 God of War (series)
Oh God of War... what a travesty it is that I've never played you. That brief moment in Gamestop when we took on the Hydra together wasn't nearly enough! Seriously though, I love Greek mythology. At my college you and a teach could essentially create a course together if the college didn't offer it, so I got together with a teacher who knew almost everything about mythology and we spent the summer just talking about it (with some paper-writing thrown in to make it official). This series looks like it could very well challenge Dark Souls as my favorite game of all time. The boss battles are amazing, the imagining of the gods, heroes, and monsters is beautiful, and the brutal action is almost jaw dropping. This is, without a doubt, the first game I'll be playing if I buy a PS3, and is practically reason enough to buy the system just to play it.


So there it is, my first top 10! Have you guys played any of these? What'd you think? Is there anything else I should experience on the PS3? Let me know!

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Some of my favorite games of all time are in your list. Currently playing through Infamous 2 (albeit slowly) which I happened to get for free by being a Playstation Plus member. I have Resistance 3 sitting on my shelf to play next. Demon Souls is downloaded onto my PS3 which is free this month on Playstation Plus. My son loves watching me play Little Big Planet 2 which I got for free with my Playstation Plus subscription. Uncharted is amazing. God of War you have to play in order by the time you get to God of War 3 it is one of the most epic games of all time. Oh and you missed a game on your list which was the sole reason I originally purchased a PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4 which was actually the same series which made me purchase the original Playstation. Simply put Ray, if you are a true gamer it is a travesty if you skip out on some of the best games ever made. Oh and make sure you get a Playstation Plus subscription as it will easily pay for itself.

    ReplyDelete