Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Magic to Warmachine: An Easy Transition


Last night was the first time I got to teach a friend to play Warmachine. Zach is typically a Magic player, but I somehow managed to talk him in to a demo game. He fielded my Circle Orboros while I blew the dust off my Khador and decided to smash some wolves and wolds.

Long story short, I lost. After explaining the basics of the game, Zach took to it right away. As I watched him explore interactions between his models, I was reminded of myself a year ago when I was learning the game. As we played, I realized that Warmachine is like the miniatures version of Magic.

Look at Magic's rules. You have very carefully worded rules alongside very carefully worded cards. Some cards require very careful reading, because the inclusion or exclusion of a single word can greatly alter how the card handles in a game. In Warmachine, it's no different. Each ability is carefully worded and requires precise reading along with a thorough rules understanding to get the most out of each model.

Second are the interactions. Magic is a game of synergy. You can make a deck where cards play independent of one another, but you will find your deck ripped apart by other decks that are designed to flow smoothly. Even the most basic aggro deck should have instants and sorceries that all work toward the same goal - cramming huge creatures down your enemy's throat. Likewise Warmachine allows you to take a smorgasbord of models, but the greatest players are those who can build lists and play models that all work toward the same goal.

Finally is the level of competitiveness that the games encourage. Magic and Warmachine can both be played casually, but if you've ready my WAAC articles (parts 1, 2, 3) you'll remember that the best games are always those where both players are trying their best. In this case, the games are designed in a way that allows people to try their hardest and are rewarded. List composition plays a part, but it's not like other games where what you bring is more important than how you play it.

So as I watched my Magic-playing friend grasp the basics of movement, power attacks, fury management, etc., I saw his history with Magic start creeping in to his game. I was blown away when he was planning to charge my Juggernaut with a Wold and paused to ask "So if I charge, can I use geomancy to cast a spell before I roll my attack?" I stood there in stunned silence for awhile because he immediately grasped an advanced tactic that many players don't know or understand. Heck, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the group who's rules-obsessed enough to be able to correctly answer that.

If you aren't a Warmachine player you can skip this paragraph. This is how a charge works: 1: declare your charge; 2: move toward you target; 3:check to see if the charge was successful; 4: roll your charge attack. However, between step 3 and 4 there's a window where you can activate abilities and cast spells only if your charge was successful. My Wolds have an ability that lets them cast one of my warlock's spells for free; the one he wanted to cast gave him +2 STR, but -1 SPD which would make him unable to perform a charge. But his plan was to successfully charge, Geomancy the STR buff, then roll his attack and subsequent damage roll with a +2 to his boosted attack.

So if you're a Warmachine player trying to get your friends to play, you'll have a much easier time if they're fans of Magic. The games feel very similar, and it really smooths out the game's initial learning curve. And if you're a Magic player interested in tabletop gaming, I think Warmachine is exactly what you're looking for. The rules are tight, the abilities are varied, and the community is competitive.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment