Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Charity Announcement #1

I thought I would share the smaller charity project I'm doing this year.


The charity is called the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) which is a charity that helps our injured service men and women both rehabilitate and come to grips with any life changing disability. I happened upon this charity when I was searching for a single large charity project that I could do this year. As I was doing research on ways that I could participate with WWP I found an option that would let me do small donations any time I want using my love of painting. 

EBay is working with WWP (and many other worthwhile charities), allowing you to label an auction under the WWP name and then allocate any percentage of your sale to be donated to WWP. I am still trying to figure out exactly how much participation I will have. The current plan is to buy and paint one model every month starting in April with 100% of the proceeds being directly donated to WWP. The reason I am skipping March is because that month will be dedicated to finishing the contest piece I promised you. 

The reason I chose WWP is because I have always had immense respect for anyone in any branch of the armed forces. And a charity dedicated to helping those wounded in the line of duty is a charity that I can get behind. having not heard much about WWP previously I turned to my brother-in-law hoping his time spent in Afghanistan with the Marines could give me a more educated view beyond what the website says. My brother-in-lay doesn't tend to be very emotional but his response was packed with pure enthusiasm and praise for WWP. 

He shared with me about his time spent at camp leatherneck, where he got to see what wwp did for wounded soldiers who were still over seas. At the camp they had a comfortable tent set up where soldiers could hang out with their wounded friends; hearing that cemented my decision to do something with wwp. As April draws closer I will be back with more info as well as the first model chosen for my donation. 

When I first wrote about my desire to participate in a charity, I was excited. But now that I've decided on WWP and a soon-to-be-announced charity, I'm positively giddy. Stay tuned for a more ambitious charity announcement in the coming weeks. 

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment