Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Would You Rebuild?


Back when I played World of Warcraft, one of the worst things imaginable was the idea of losing your character. Whether your account was hacked or banned, logging on one day and realizing that hundreds of hours had been lost would make anyone's heart drop. There are some people who've invested 9 years in to that game, logging on once a day or once a month. Their character has a lot of time and effort behind them.

When I played the game and heard about someone's account being tampered with, or even banned for "no reason," I would always ask myself what I'd do in that situation. After 5+ years of learning a character, completing quests, doing PvP, conquering raids... would I have the heart to continue, or would that be my time to cut ties and start fresh with an entirely new game?

Assuming yes, would I make the same decision? At the time I quit I only had one main character and a plethora of characters I'd play when I was bored. Paladin is what I knew and excelled at. If I had to start from scratch, I don't know if I'd do anything different, but that's because I enjoyed the journey of paladin, as well as the destination.

So what got me thinking about this? The other day I was browsing a gaming forum and there was an APB out for someone's stolen miniatures army. I've seen these before but I'd never really applied my WoW question to the situation. But that day, I started thinking about my path in wargaming and what I'd do if my army(s) simply vanished.

Unlike video games, collecting and painting an army isn't something that'd be nearly as fun the second time around. I could do a new paint scheme, but I'd still be sending my brush over very familiar details. I'd remember a struggle I had here, a lesson I learned there, and I don't think I'd have the heart for it.

The major question is if I'd even have Khador as my "main" faction. Assuming I lost Khador and my 2 smaller armies, I don't really know what I'd pick. Khador gave me a lot of good memories with the game, but a small part of me regrets "mastering" the game with that faction. While I love its straightforward style, it also lacks a lot of the tricks found in other armies. I've always known I started Khador to have an easier time learning the game and stuck with it simply because I was already decently invested in it.

Of course that's not to say I don't love Khador, because I do. But given the choice of slowly collecting and painting the same force or cutting ties and trying something else, I'm inclined to say I'd send my allegiance elsewhere. Would I miss Khador? You bet I would! They're my first love in the game, and they are my only faction that I feel somewhat competent playing. But without the ability to fall back on old reliable, I think I'd use this chance to pick an army like Circle Orboros (again), Skorne (again), or maybe even Mercenaries or Gators.

However, there's absolutely no question about whether I'd stick with the game. I love Warmachine, and there isn't another miniatures game I wish I'd played instead. What about you? Whatever your game of choice, would you stick with it if you'd lost all your progress? Would you make the same decisions or use your second chance to avoid mistakes you'd made? Let me know!


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month's giveawayis for a set of Original FPS Freeks!

3 comments:

  1. Playing Assassins Creed 2 my save file got corrupted (only game this has ever happened to me on) and I never had the heart to replay it. As a result I haven't bothered playing an Assassins Creed game since. Based on what I have heard, I haven't missed much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it very much depends on the game. I've built several Warmachine/Hordes armies, because a) I like the game and b) they're not that big. Contrariwise, I've reached a point where I couldn't bear the thought of building another 40K or WFB army from scratch, even something comparatively low on models like Warriors of Chaos. That's why I'm clinging so tightly to my Necrons - if they go, I'm not gonna be coming back. Buying and building and painting and carrying that much stuff is just beyond me at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it really just depends on if you like the game or not. If you really enjoy the game you are going to take it as an opportunity to "reboot" your experience, if you don't really enjoy the game I don't think you will bother.

    Usually it will involve a class change if you are doing a MMORPG or at least a race change if you are dead set on a certain class so there is something "fresh" about the experience.

    In table top games it will usually lead to a different army. Most players have another army they would like to invest in but they just don't pull the trigger because they are more invested their current faction. Heck I change armies just to have a different experience myself, or because I feel like our group doesn't have any representation of a certain faction.

    ReplyDelete