Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

His and Hers Paintbrushes- Finally Giving In


Those of you who've been around have seen my Starting Them Young series where I chronicle my kids' journeys in to gaming. Without too much to report on that front (other than my kids now being addicted to endless runner games), my wife will now get her own feature.

Once again my wife and I were doing our hobbies while watching some TV (hooray for kids having sick days!). Over the past year she's chatted me up about my hobby - asking what I'm doing, how I did this, etc. Today, in her very own roundabout way of beating around the bush, she asked me if she could try painting. I was caught quite off guard - it's like the head cheerleader asking you out on a date in high school Yeah we dream of it happening, but who's truly prepared for when it comes true?

That's the position I found myself in when she asked me this. She said she wanted to just try painting a small piece of one of my models, but no way was I letting this opportunity pass me up! We started talking about what she wanted to paint, whether she wanted a small model, one of my Circle Orboros warbeasts, or one of my many warjacks that need some love. She didn't want to paint flesh because "it looks silly," nor did she want to do fur on my wolves. She has seen me paint lots of spikes and bolts on my warjacks, so she decided that a big stompy robot would be her first step toward the addicting world of painting (my words, not hers... yet).

We both agreed that this needed to be something I'd play often. None of my unpainted jacks are something I'd field competitively, and the only two I didn't own but might use didn't appeal to her (Drago and Devastator). That left one hefty option - my colossal. Dun dun DUUUUUUN.

I have no idea how wise this is. I mean that's a lot of robot to paint. After 5 minutes of convincing her that yes, I'm okay with her painting my big guy. Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I'm really sure... she finally agreed to paint my Khador Conquest. This of course came with the stipulation that she gets to use my airbrush to do his main color - apparently all those late nights of hearing me yell to no one about how much I hate base coating has given her a bad impression of only using a brush.

Ever the patient one, she immediately wanted to go outside and get him primed. I gave her a bit of coaching while she shook her can of black primer.


And away she went trying to get that primer in to all the little crevices, battling the intermittent wind the entire time. I won't lie, watching someone else struggle to get good coverage without pooling the primer is immensely entertaining.

After getting him covered, we brought him inside and she set him at my painting desk to dry. As soon as I sat down to start writing this post, she asked when we could paint him. "Probably not till tomorrow afternoon" I replied as I loaded up my blogger. "Are you sure? He seemed pretty dry when I brought him in!"

Two minutes in and she's questioning my knowledge.

For those who don't know, my wife is pregnant as a gestational surrogate. So at the end of the month, she'll give birth and have about 2 weeks of recovery. What better way to spend it than painting?! So look forward to her journey as I guide her through painting this monster in the paint scheme of her choice.


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook. I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways! This month's giveawayis for a hand-made dice bag from Greyed Out Productions!

No comments:

Post a Comment