Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Form vs Function - Terrain Edition





While I enjoy a game where both sides have roughly the same terrain, sometimes it's nice to throw care out the window and tell a story. The most elaborate game boards do this by taking a piece of an asymmetrical city and creating a beautiful landscape to play on.

I'm still mustering up the courage to dive in to making my own game board, but tonight I got to scratch that itch and tell a little story with the battlefield. 

I wanted to put a river on the field because my group doesn't use nearly enough water and forest features. Since this was going to be a 2v2 game with a guy whose played once or twice, I thought it would be fun to divide the field length-wise and play a scenario that put an objective on each side. 

Seeing the river, I needed something next to it. Hello house! After digging through our terrain box I found some flexible hedges and decided to spiff up this riverside abode. After I gave him a hedge complete with a bush, I decided to make this a small abandoned village area. 

2 buildings, 2 hills, and 1 ruins later and I had a small outpost. It wasn't balanced, but it looked pretty good! And honesty, as a casual group I really liked this battlefield style. It's sad that it has to be taken apart, but if I built my own board...




See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month's giveawayis for a hand-made dice bag from Greyed Out Productions!

1 comment:

  1. It was a nice set up I thought.

    We should tweak the "team game" idea a bit though I think.

    We should either force the at least a supplement of each others army to mix with your team mate or have objectives that are linked together but the play goes separately to speed things up. I was thinking something like Main objectives held give normal adding to the scenario but other objectives may give negatives, multipliers, or bonus objective points. It would just add some randomness to the big multiplayer games and hopefully make them more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete