Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Budget


Towards the beginning of my blogging challenge I discussed how, within reason, I didn't want to let cost prevent me from enjoying a game. Today will be another money matter, but with less focus on the core game and more emphasis on all the extra stuff we can use in our games.

When I started getting more involved in my group, I wanted to buy some terrain for them so I could help contribute to our fun. As I started looking at the different hills, buildings, and other "scatter" items that people use to increase a game's immersion, I thought the world had gone mad! Here's a few things I remember finding:

  • $300 for a Realm of Battle board, which is just 6 pieces of 2x2 plastic used to create a gaming area for your models to stand on. Note that you still have to paint and put grass on it yourself.
  • $20-30 for a plastic hill
  • $40 for a 4x4 unpainted rubber mat that could simulate different kinds of ground
  • $30 for a small pond feature
  • $30 for a small building or bunker
As I looked at more and more terrain, I soon realized that for the price of decently filling up a table I could buy another small army to play on the table. I brought this up to the group one night and all I received were incredulous stares.

"That's just how it is," was the consensus. No one seemed trodden down by that reality as though they'd been bullied for years in to paying so much money for a hill. Many of guys are also pretty careful with their money, so I knew they weren't carelessly throwing their money away. What then? What would make them think that spending so much money on terrain was acceptable?

Following my crafty nature, I set out to learn about making my own terrain. After reading several guides, I realized that terrain was a much more involved process than I originally gave it credit for. Cutting things just right, securing multiple pieces, getting the right materials, make things look "good" rather than "good enough" ... a lot goes in to matching the quality of premade terrain while avoiding something that looks like an arts and crafts project. 

I put that thought away for awhile because I knew I wanted a foam cutter first. I kept looking at terrain prices and seeing that what I thought was really high was really just GW's typical way of pricing things slightly above their value based on the name attached. Hills and other terrain features weren't terribly cheaper anywhere else - including numerous Kickstarters I'd see that usually offers backers a cheaper price than what the product will sell for later.

It wasn't until yesterday that I realized I'd come around to the price of terrain. I was walking through my local gaming shop and checked out their GW terrain selection. I saw a ruined keep and immediately thought "Man, only $30 for that?"

They got me, and I don't know how. For $30 I could buy a small unit or a new warjack. However, I think I'm finally getting it. 

I'm willing to pay money for models I don't use every game. I'm willing to spend hours painting a model who will have his back to me the entire game while being at least 2 feet from me at all times. I will buy basing materials and special paints and a freaking airbrush to make my stuff look good. But when it comes to the rest of my game, I was willing to settle for junk.

Games like Warhammer, Warmachine, and Malifaux aren't just about the models. It's about the entire experience of the game, models and scenery alike. When learning the game, so little emphasis is placed on terrain because the only thing about it that matters is how it functions on the field. But when you have two armies fighting over an objective, how much more amazing is the game when it looks like they're battling over a magical relic in a forest rather than fighting over a piece of cardboard around some pieces of felt and stacks of Legos?

I enjoy working with my hands, so I still don't see myself buying something when I could make it myself. I've been having a blast with my hot wire foam cutter, and I want to learn how to make more than just generic terrain. I want to make amazing set pieces that people want to use in their games. 

Still, I get why people do it. I understand why a person would pay $25 for a piece of plastic that they just have to paint and flock to turn it in to a really nice looking hill. $300 is an expensive-but-acceptable deal for a modular board, rather than just using a piece of plywood painted green. 

And there are more ways to treat yourself to an enjoyable game. In a little over a week I'll be drawing winners for a dice bag from Greyed Out Productions, which is something that put this subject in the back of my mind. I love having a dice bag compared to sticking everything in a ziplock bag. It adds to my gaming experience, and I now can't imagine carrying my dice in anything else. 

The same thing goes for decorative sleeves on my Magic cards over generic sleeves, "skins" for a gaming console, or even a custom ringtone for a phone. None of this stuff is ever needed, but we love it. It lets us add some flair and personality to what we're doing. 

For me, nice terrain is something I didn't think I needed until I got used to it. If I'd played with some terrain that was cobbled together out of books, cardboard, and Play Do, I would probably be fine. But like a millionaire who loses everything, I can't imagine using anything else in my gaming. 

What do you guys think? Is paying a premium fee for premium features worthwhile, or do you care more about the game you're playing than the bling present while playing it? What sort of terrain do you use in your own games? Let me know!


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month's giveaway is for a hand-made dice bag from Greyed Out Productions!

1 comment:

  1. Well you and I use the same terrain so you know what I normally use.

    I really like the "high end" terrain that some companies put out but full retail can be pretty harsh. I would have to LOVE something before dropping full price on it.

    I think with any persons hobby it comes down to what do I want to invest my time in.

    When a person spends their money on hobby they are literally spending their time because they had to take their time to earn the money they use on their hobby. This is true through all hobbies. Examples are the guys who spend real money to buy gold in WoW because they want to spend their actual play time doing something other than farming gold for 2 weeks. I can't fault people for this because it happens in every hobby in life, even Candy Crush.

    There are just a couple things about terrain that I believe personally.

    1. Good terrain enhances the game 100%. If you have an empty table with 2 tubes of pringles randomly in the middle a table top wargame plays out WAAAY differently than patches of forests, rolling hills, buildings that block LOS, and even bridges. All of these pieces add to the tactical layout of a table. Which in my mind enhances the game.

    2. If you have ever tried to make a nice piece of terrain such as a building or something similar you know the time investment that goes along with the work involved. If you are crafty and enjoy that side of the hobby then you should tear it up and make your self some sweet terrain. If you aren't crafty and you don't enjoy the time spent then you have lots of good options that aren't blow your mind ridiculous to purchase.

    We all want terrain to make our games better so it boils down the decision of investing your time and craftiness into making your own, OR investing your work time and spending your cash to buy what someone else has produced. Either are fine but a person just needs to analyze themselves to find the answer.

    ReplyDelete