Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Stripping to Metal


For the most part, I detest pewter models. Paint doesn't like to stick to them, their bulk makes them easier to break when dropped, and glue doesn't adhere to it nearly as well as plastic. However, metal is also incredibly easy to clean.

When I first started trading for used models, I used stuff like Simple Green and Purple Power, followed by hours of scrubbing with minimal results. With a back that loves being injured, that method quickly became impossible to maintain, and as a result I stopped accepting any models with paint on them. Then on day on a whim I looked around for ways to strip paint (because new models are expensive), and I happened upon one random person mentioning acetone.

I stole my wife's nail polish remover and tried it on a metal model. I was astounded at the results. After a day of soaking, paint rubbed off as soon as I handled the pieces, and an old toothbrush easily peeled paint out of smaller areas. I had read warnings about putting plastic in the acetone, but I wasn't too sure exactly how bad it would be.

I recently traded for a Beast 09, and the paint was in desperate need of stripping. I tried to rip the base off his feet, but the previous owner used a huge dose of glue everywhere, and it simply wouldn't budge. I shrugged and figured I could just soak him up to his feet, and just deal with his feel not being as smooth. As soon as I set him in the acetone, he immediately fell sideways and covered his entire plastic base.



My first instinct was to pull him out and rinse the base, but in a matter of seconds my adolescent/destructive side kicked in. I decided to fill the rest of the cup and see what happened to the base. I didn't notice too much right away, so I let it sit and sort of forgot about it. Tonight I decided to try rubbing off the first layer of paint, and the end-result of the base was just as rewarding as I hoped it'd be!



That thing got annihilated. There were bits of it all over the place, not to mention all the goopy hunks of glue I had to peel off the joints. Some of the paint came off, but it was put on pretty thick so I think it needs another day or two of soaking before I can strip it all the way down to the metal.

Really though, I can't recommend acetone enough when it comes to metal models. I hate any part of the hobby that keeps me from painting. You guys know how I feel about mold lines, but stripping paint is a much more time-consuming process that would probably infuriate me even more because mold lines at least show steady progress. I love acetone because it gives real results. I would still prefer working with new plastic models, but at least I have an option for when I find metal models at a discount!


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways.

1 comment:

  1. I love using acetone, but as you've found out, it really only works with metal. Any of the plastic models are going to see a fate similar to what you saw with the base.

    I'd strongly recommend heading to your local hardware store and picking up a pack of disposable gloves (latex, rubber, or butyl). If you get nitrile gloves, they'll melt just as easily as the plastic base you left in the acetone. Also, you can find jugs of acetone in with the paint stripping supplies, so you don't have to keep burning through the small bottles that your wife has for nail polish removal.

    ReplyDelete