Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Gaming Stole My Words


Tonight I was talking to my wife about some flowers I got for my daughter after her Christmas concert. I don't remember how it came up, but I accused her of having a secret reason for wanting to cut the stems of Emma's flowers, to which she replied "Well that's one aspect of it." Immediately my mind sarcastically replied with "Aspect of the Hawk?"

For the less damaged out there, Aspect of the Hawk is an ability in World of Warcraft, one of many different Aspect of the _____ abilities the Hunter class can use to enhance themselves. After spending nearly a year playing a Hunter and juggling aspects, that word is now forever associated with Aspect of the Hawk.

Sadly, that's not the only word that has been corrupted in my mind.

Whenever I hear someone reference the island of of Granada, I instantly hear the screaming soldier from Call of Duty 4 whenever someone would throw a grenade. So famous/annoying is that sound that it's the first one in this clip.





Whenever the word "war" is left hanging in the air, I must finish it with the intro to Fallout 3.





If something is effective, it must do 1.5x to 2x damage, because that's how Pokemon works. If something must be caught in large quantities, "Gotta Catch 'em All" starts playing in my head.

If a high pitched voice says "Hey" or "Listen!" I'm feeling the urge to swat at a stupid fairy. In a cruel twist of fate, my son likes to say "Hey" and "Listen!" when my daughter is ignoring him...





If an outdoor location is dangerous, I see an old man cautioning me about going out alone and then giving me a sword... only to send me out alone anyway.

When there's talk of cake, I want to inform people that it's likely a lie. If someone asks if I'm still alive, I'm soon serenaded by the  sweet voice of GLaDOS.



Any reference to bubblegum takes me back to the days of Duke Nukem.






The ding dong you hear when entering a gas station triggers "Seeeegaaaaaa" in the back of my head.





Any utterance of Latin has me listening for Requiescat en Pace, the phrase uttered by the protagonists of Assassin's Creed whenever they'd kill an important target.

Don't utter "Would you kindly..." around me or I'm liable to bludgeon you to death with a golf club. Of course my legal defense would have to be "A man chooses; a slave obeys." [man I want to play Bioshock again!]





When I tell my kids to finish something (usually cleaning up), "Finish Him!" booms in my ears. I've yet to see them uppercut their dirty rooms in to a spike pit, but I'm sure it'll happen one day.





Whenever I'm the first to do something I want to scream "First blood!" Instead of killing two birds with one stone, I want to throw something and shout "Double kill!"

And of course, anytime someone says "Here we go!" it's immediately filtered through my brain to sound like Mario.





That's my clip-heavy way of saying that gaming culture has very much infected my daily conversations with people, but it's so entertaining that I can't imagine wanting to fix it.

So what are your trigger words? What can someone say or do to bring a game reference to mind? And I want to hear some feedback so I don't feel like a total maniac!


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This is my last month of guaranteed giveaways, so don't miss out on a free copy of Super Dungeon Explore, a painting project, and more! Click here for details!

7 comments:

  1. I never can seem to recall them until they happen. Kudos on remembering them on the fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That's a lie" is always said in Grima Wormtongue's voice.

    Here we go is Mario

    Most of my queues are Disney. "I've been thinking" is followed by "a dangerous pastime" "I know"

    Thanks for these. Now I have confirmation that there are other crazies out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the "a dangerous pastime" "I know!" one too... I'm also prone to following "look at this!" with "stuff! Isn't it neat! Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?"

      Delete
  3. There are two that I often catch myself saying:

    Even though I was never a real COD fan, every once in a while someone will say something and "RPG!" enters my mind (at the moment I don't know why)

    The other one is not really video game related but when ever I hear a ding, I always say "Fries are done" from that Simpsons song.

    Now that I think about it whenever someone mentions cake, I always wonder if it is a lie or not (usually it is).


    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever anyone else is interrupted by another person all that comes to my mind is C-c-c-c-c-c--comber breaker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a ton of these! Unfortunately I'm terrible at recalling them out of context. I know I do the Fallout "war" one. Fallout being my favorite game series of all time. I'm also prone to quoting "President" John Henry Eden.

    I am often recalled to the city of Rapture as well. I'm fairly certain the Bioshock changed my life.

    All of that said, the number one for me has to be the fact that every time I complete a task I think "Job's done!" in the voice of the Alliance peasants from Warcraft II.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that flowers delivery is another good idea like gift to your daughter

    ReplyDelete