Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

DoomSanta - Let It Snow!


With time ticking down, my Secret Santa project had to be more of a sprint than a marathon. But he's done, and I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. I decided to leave the end of his staff white, because I just couldn't figure out a way to make it flow with the rest of the piece.

After sealing him up, I mixed up some snow and put it on the base of DoomSanta and my Khador battle box. I'm not really sure what happened, but after drying a few areas turned a light brown. Here's some discoloration on Sorscha's base.



I decided to take this opportunity to try something I'd never done before, because I'm clearly not a smart man. I washed the snow in blue, hoping I could hit it with a heavy drybrush of white to give it a bit of depth. I didn't want too much blue because it might look like a Smurf relieved himself at DoomSanta's feet...



It took a few layers, but I managed to leave just enough blue peeking out so that it's not solid white, but there isn't so much blue that the snow seems tinted.



 I'm glad I went festive with this. I hope my Secret Santa-ee (or whatever he's called) is happy with it. I think I hit the right amount of fun while still making sure he's not so cheesy that I wouldn't want to play him. Honestly, I think the "Nice" list on the ground is what pulls it all together - without that I think the whole model would look incomplete. Either way I had a lot of fun, and working with that much Green Stuff gave me a lot of lessons on using the right amount of pressure and being careful about accidentally bumping an area and messing it up.


As I teased on Facebook today, I'm going to be adding a couple more prizes to my final giveaway. I won't do a separate post about it, so check Facebook for a link to that as well.

See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This is my last month of guaranteed giveaways, so don't miss out on a free copy of Super Dungeon Explore!

1 comment:

  1. I love the irony of getting "Santa" for a secret Santa gift. :)

    ReplyDelete