Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Why Do Painted Models Matter?


Telling people I'm a commission painter is always interesting. When I finally manage to explain to them what I paint, I usually get one of two reactions.

  • "Ah... neat."
  • "Wait... people will pay to have that stuff painted?"
With the second, my usual response is "Yeah, people like their stuff to look good," and they shrug and find it crazy that people would spend money on it. It's something that can only really be understood by people who are a part of this gaming culture. Still, it does raise a good point. Why do we like to have our models painted?

The first few times I play a painted model, I'm always watching it on the battlefield. I take time to appreciate all the detail, shadows, basing, etc. But after those first few times, especially with infantry, I usually stop noticing. I know the model is there, but the hours I put in to painting it are forgotten. The hour I spent painting Harkevich's eyes, a detail which seemed so important, seems like a waste because I can't even see them with his back to me.

But for some reason I can't be satisfied with an unpainted model. It's not just that I enjoy them being painted, it's that I feel dirty for playing something that isn't finished. I don't prefer to play with painted models, it's like I'm compelled to do it. And truth be told, I have no idea why.

I don't think it's because I want to be praised for it. I don't mind people appreciating my work, but if you knew how behind I was on posting pictures to my Facebook page you'd know that showing off my stuff isn't high on my priority list. Truth be told, I get more satisfaction out of someone being happy with their commission than I am with my own models being praised.

Many people enjoy the immersion of painted models, but I don't think that's for me either. I like to paint with a sense of realism, but when I'm playing a game I'm not paying attention to the aesthetics of the board because I'm lost in planning and strategy. I do enjoy the look of my army sitting lined up, but once those first dice start rolling I don't actively notice the paint job of my models.

I'll admit that I love watching a game with 2 painted armies fighting in some nice looking terrain. So maybe I'm following the golden rule... if I want to watch painted armies, I should bring a painted army to be watched. It's a theory, but I doubt that's it either.

Getting right down to it, I think I want them painted because of what each painted model represents. Some models are the victims of new techniques, some handled with the utmost casre, while others were done in a hurry because I was tired or hated the model (looking at you, Feral Warpwolf). I even get excited to see guys in my group play models I've painted because I have some memory of painting each one.

I've said it before, but painting is what centers me. It lets me relax and focus on something I'm passionate about. I think that's why I don't want to play unpainted models - it's because they mean absolutely nothing to me. And unless it was painted for me by a friend, I wouldn't play someone else painted models because, again, I have no connection to it.

Playing painted models is an extension of my painting process. I paint them and then I play them. I may never play them again, but playing that first game is my last step in painting a model.

And now I'm genuinely curious about the rest of you. If you enjoy having painted models, tell me why! Is it immersion? Do you just like the look of a painted army? Something else entirely? Comment down below!

See you tomorrow!

If you're new around here, be sure to like my page on Facebook. I post daily blog content and hold monthly giveaways!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy playing painted models because.......Oh wait, I don't play anything painted expect for pHoarlok (gift from a friend) and a Dire Troll Mauler (painted by you). I enjoy seeing painted armies clash just as much as the next person but I don't care enough about that side of the hobby to do it myself so that leaves me with mostly unpainted stuff. Ahhhh well, one day I may be able to field a completely painted Trollblood army....

    ReplyDelete