Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Poké-Auction


I'm not a big fan of art, but there's a charity auction that almost requires me to bid on something.

The auction is called Rare Candy, and it has the coolest premise. They got together 151 different artists and gave each of them a random Pokemon from the first generation (including Mew!). Then each artist was tasked with doing their Pokemon in any style they chose. If you plan on viewing the entire gallery, I highly recommend clicking Bulbasaur, and just hitting the next button to cycle through them. Each piece, good or bad, is definitely worth a look.

[I won't post images because I'm not sure on the legalities, so prepare for a few links.]

Some artists clearly don't get Pokemon, like the artist who drew a woman cosplaying a Rhyhorn. Or the Metapod that's... mid-evolution with Butterfree's wings? I don't even know. Or how about the Rhydon, a rock/ground type Pokemon that is VERY weak to water... surfing.

But then there are some that are, at the time of this writing, rightfully going for several hundred dollars. Misty with Gyarados doesn't even need to be Pokemon to be appreciated, it's just that beautiful. Same goes for Ninetails and Muk. Ponyta and Rapidash are also pretty striking in their own, unique ways.

Not everything is on canvas. There's a great looking 3d Arcanine made from ceramic and foil. Or a Zubat that is plain creepy. And you'd think the guy who drew Pikachu would make something unbelievable, right? I mean he's the staple Pokemon! While the sculptor didn't take creative liberties with Pikachu, it doesn't seem to do justice to everyone's favorite electric rat.

Speaking of creative liberties, holy cow. I loved the starters of the first game, so I was a bit terrified when the first image I clicked had Bulbasaur (that's Bulbasaur, right?) looking like this. But then you have some guys who gave Pokemon a dark tone and did it really well, like this "realistic" Charmander, or the creepy Raticate. Or there's Kingler, which just made me laugh. Want something a little more tough? How about the Tauros who has a surprisingly amazing Southwestern vibe.

And then, of course, are the artists who "get it." Gengar was one of my favorites growing up, and I think his piece is my absolute favorite. That writing beneath him? That's a bunch of Unown, a Pokemon you could catch that were randomly shapes like letters, spelling out "Gengar." Or Cubone, a Pokemon with a heartbreaking story, sitting alone and in desperate need of love. And does anyone remember that Omanyte fossil you'd get? Or the windup Porygon (because you got him as a prize from an arcade). How about Wigglytuff (because it evolved from a moon stone). And if you remember trying to catch a Pinser from the Safari Zone, you'll really appreciate this one.

And of course... Psyduck.

I didn't list everything that stood out to me, though I really wanted to! Honestly I would love to sit here and talk about each piece in this auction. Some are duds, but most of these are amazing, and I love the idea of giving the artists complete control. For anyone who was a fan back in the day, you owe it to yourself to go through each piece in this gallery and remember your childhood. My wife patiently sat there as I talked about most of the pieces, though I did finally excuse her to return to the world of normal people.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on some of the pieces. What Pokemon were your favorites back then, and how did you feel about the artists' versions? Any that particularly disappointed you or blew you away? Is there anything you want to bid on? Let me know!

See you tomorrow!

If you're new around here, be sure to like my page on Facebook. I post daily blog content and hold monthly giveaways!

3 comments:

  1. I was a bit old to get too caught up in the Pokemon craze but I did enjoy the cartoon series when it first came out. I would agree that the Gengar you posted was one of the best followed closely behind by that chronic headache sufferer we all love Psyduck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pikachu(sp?) was a cat? I though he was some weird bunny thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rat. If I remember right, Pikachu in Japanese literally means "electric rat."

      Delete