Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Success Is Enabling


I'm down with a back injury today, which of course means it's time for some TV marathons!

I spent the morning watching YuYu Hakusho in between hydrocodone comas. When the family got home in the late afternoon I snuggled with my kids on the couch and watched Curious George in between comas brought on from a grown man watching a string of toddler shows. When dinner was ready my wife very bluntly told me that I had to watch The Big Bang Theory with her because I got her addicted.

I love comments like that. You guys know how much I love the unique bond we have as geeks, so when I introduce someone to a game, book, or TV show and it so completely hooks them in... it's one of the best parts of being a geek. Telling someone "Hey you should try this, I think you'll enjoy it" and it soon becomes integrated in to their lives, I get to enjoy that same feeling as my friends who introduced me to Warmachine, Magic, Scrubs, and professional wresting (back when it was cool).

While I was trying to come up with examples for the previous sentence, I realized just how much of an enabler I am. I have a lot of things I've been obsessed with over the years, but I had a hard time coming up with ones that others got me in to. Typically I learn about a game, pick up a book, or check out a new show out of boredom, and if I find it addicting enough I'll start my pyramid scheme of getting 3 people hooked, who then tell their friends, ad infinitum.

And if you guys haven't been able to tell after 9 straight months of blogging, I absolutely love sharing my passions with others. I once had someone very tongue-in-cheek tell me I'd make an excellent drug dealer because I always find the most addicting things to introduce to my friends. And while I don't advocate drug usage (says the guy on hydrocodone), knowing that people lose sleep because of a new element I put in their lives gives me a huge sense of satisfaction.

So what have you addicted your friends to?


See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways. This month's giveawayis for a set of Original FPS Freeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment