Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Looking Out Both Windows


On Tuesdays and Thursdays my daughter comes with me to pick up Max from preschool so I can drop her off at a her own school. This week I borrowed my mother's van so I could haul Emma's friend as well, which put Emma on the other side of the car. As we were driving she was going on and on about all the new stuff she was seeing. Houses, businesses, even nature had changed because she the route we take is basically a one-way trip, so she's never seen these things out of her own window before and apparently never tried to see what was happening on her brother's side.

I can sometimes be the same way with my gaming. Even though I am not terribly dedicated to one army or class, I don't always take advantage of everything I can.

This is especially true in my video games, where I just recently started playing something other than the noble hero or the sneaky assassin. Games have started giving us so many ways to play, yet I still can't bring myself to join the Fighter's or Wizard's Guild in Skyrim because that's just "not my thing."

This would have been true of my painting as well. If the league that introduced me to Warmachine didn't offer points for painting I likely never would have picked up a brush, especially since the majority of the group didn't really paint. That's an entire aspect of the hobby I might never have even attempted to enjoy because painting seems so daunting when you've never tried it before.

The same is true of my recent interest in competitive play. Rather than just playing whatever seems fun, some of us are limiting ourselves to 3 lists that we will constantly play, tweak, and play again (or scrap entirely, I suppose). There's nothing to be gained from it other than actually learning our models through consistent play. After a handfull of games I'm already seeing myself better understanding how different models can support the weaknesses of the other. If it wasn't for resources like Muse on Minis I likely never would have considered learning my lists.

Some of you may remember I recently played in a MTG Commander league. Although my time was cut a bit short thanks to my wife going in to labor, I still got to enjoy a format I never would have tried on my own, but ended up really enjoying because it completely changed how I played.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that everyone won't like every aspect of a hobby. I love board games, but I don't care for 1v1v1v1 games like Ticket to Ride, Monopoly, or even Dominoes. But sit me down with something even semi-cooperative like Dungeon Defenders, Pandemic, or Arkham Horror and I'll play until everyone else passes out. Without a willingness to play competitive board games, even knowing I won't like them, I limit myself and risk missing an opportunity to find a new enjoyment.

Here's my challenge to you: take one of your hobbies, whatever it may be, and make it a point to try a part of it you never have before. Whether it's painting miniatures, playing a different Magic format, or just being a Dungeon Master instead of a player, I think it's important fully explore what your hobby offers. Even if you do end up hating it, at least you can't be accused of never trying. And who knows, you may actually find you enjoy it after years of thinking you wouldn't. It happened with my daughter and broccoli, so I know it's possible!

If you'll take the challenge, let me know! I'm curious to see if anyone is willing to take me up on this one and what their experiences are after trying something new.

See you tomorrow!

Remember to follow me on Facebook! I'm doing a blog post every single day for 2013, and Facebook is a great way to stay up-to-date as well as take part in my monthly giveaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment