Phrase

Giving your unpainted armies a ray of hope.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sick of the Swarm

[There's no real conversation to tonight's post. It's more of a personal musing - you know, what blogs were created for!]


As I was driving out to game night, I decided I really didn't want to play Khador. Unlike my previous reasons for our love/hate relationship, this one was all about being lazy.

Despite all assumptions to the contrary, Khador is not a faction that's led by it's amazing war jacks. Instead, the expansionist nation conquers its foes under a swarm of dudes. At 50 points I usually field one warjack and 30-40 models (or more if I ignore my recent love of Man O Wars), making me outnumber almost any opponent that isn't Cryx. 

Why is that annoying? Because I expect opponents to be careful with their measurements, so I do the same for them. That means bending over the table and making sure 40+ models don't move beyond their legal movement, making decisions for what each of them will do each turn, maneuvering around a very crowded area as I try to engage the enemy... Honestly, it's an annoying amount of brainpower that's being dedicated to minutiae. 

Typically I love Khador for their simple rules. Models don't do anything fancy - they move forward and either shoot or chop whatever enemy is in front of them. But as I took stock of what my lists could do, I realized it all revolved around a swarm of guys rushing forward to stab, chop, or shoot my opponent in to oblivion. 

I think it's time to switch things up. I've always played "typical Khador," which is basically doing exactly what I described. I'm at the point where I'm ready to see what else the army has to offer. I think it's time to play the casters an units I never play. I need to make more focused lists and not just use a bunch of pieces that work independently. 

This isn't a new revelation, of course. I've known I need to change things up, but I never felt driven to move out of my comfort zone. But now I see that if I don't breathe new life in to my faction I'm going to burn out on it yet again. I don't know if I can avoid my swarm of guys, but I need something exciting to balance the monotony of moving so many bodies across the field.


See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I think we have talked about this, it sounds like you have a fever, and the only is cure for your fever is more cowbell! j/k. I actually think you should try to the Harkevich / Conquest / Behemoth / Black Ivan / Torch list we had talked about. Of course it needed a smidge of refining but that is a lot of shooting and armor for someone to deal with. At the very least it would be entertaining......assuming Mulg doesn't get to you first......... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one reason I own almost everything Cryx can field. I can play any list my brain can come up with and I very rarely get bored with my lists.

    ReplyDelete